[_] new look bbc

Andy Davies dajdavies at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:01:58 BST 2010

On 15 July 2010 15:43, Oliver Humpage <oliver at watershed.co.uk> wrote:

> On 14 Jul 2010, at 19:21, Andy Davies wrote:
>
> >> To be fair, 260Kb of that is images - and you do expect the site to
> >> have
> >> lots of images. I do think that 900Kb is unacceptable though.
> >>
> > Wonder how big the rest of the request is e.g. headers etc., they're
> > getting
> > quite close to being bigger than a single packet there.
>
> I think they're quite a long way over a single packet - usually under
> 8KB IIRC.
>
> Given that the MTU of ethernet is 1500B (not KB), and I think ADSL is
> smaller still, not sure it makes much odds anyway.
>
> And the browser will still do multiple requests for the various files,
> which will always be in multiple packets.

Yeh managed to quote the wrong bit there, meant to quote this " - I'm
sending 900 bytes of cookies with every
request there."

Was thinking about what happens when the request is bigger than a single
packet, where due to TCP slow-start, the second packet doesn't get sent
until the client gets the acknowledgement from the server.

Cheers

Andy