[_] Social networking software (was Elgg)

John Griffin jg2950 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 11:15:23 GMT 2009

On 18 Dec 2009, at 16:05, David Moreton wrote:

> Hi David
>
> What are you thinking of? Why not just do it with Drupal? (http://
> www.doitwithdrupal.com/ might even have some inspiration... there are
> videos of how to do Flickr, Basecamp, Twitter and YouTube)
>
> Buddylist, Content Profile, Organic Groups, Invite, FOAF, Private
> message, and so much more....

Nice one David, I'm glad you bought up Drupal, I was gonna do the same on the original thread but since it seems to be all I ever talk about on this list I'm in danger of being labelled a fanboy...  Which I am...

To declare my interest, I'm actually starting a company in January which is going to be working on building a social networking platform in Drupal.  We have several really good people on board and lots of partnerships in the making so hope to get a fair bit of momentum around it.  We plan to release it as open source and sell services around it, expect an early beta release around Drupalcon SF time - April...

Drupal is a great basis for a social networking site, but has quite a steep learning curve for developers and pretty poor usability out of the box, which is one of the main things we hope to improve upon with our product.  If anyone is interested in what we're doing then you can follow me on twitter where i'll be posting tech oriented updates on our progress:

http://www.twitter.com/john_griffin

Cheers,
John