[_] OT: large conference venues in Bristol

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Fri Dec 18 16:36:57 GMT 2009

On 18 Dec 2009, at 16:31, Rick Hurst wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Matt Hamilton
> <matth at netsight.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> They could be good... but again they are quite far out the centre,
>> and
>> I really want somewhere within walking distance of the centre so
>> people can explore bristol a bit and go out for meals and drinks etc.
>> I'd rather not have everyone stuck out on a campus out of town.
>
> I think being in the city is key to it - people can book hotels or
> cheaper accomodation anywhere they like, but for many delegates the
> opportunity to visit somewhere interesting and explore in the evenings
> is a massive factor in whether they attend or not. It doesn't have to
> be an actual conference venue though matt - remeber the plone conf in
> vienna was in a nightclub - that was a really good venue, especially
> the party on the last night where I remember watching two female
> non-delegates wandering in and promptly back out when they were
> confronted by the sight of an empty dancefloor and 300 mostly male
> geeks standing round the bar!

The main bit I remember of that event was you comatose the morning
after in a hammock between two palm trees in the middle of the venue ;)

Yeah, that is why I was asking here, as I'm sure there are some great
venues that are not the standard conference type places. I've email
Coexist at Hamilton House to see if its something they could
accommodate. I've also considered SS Great Britain, Thekla, (ex)
Industrial Museum... I'm almost wondering if it would be worth renting/
buying an empty office block for it then selling it after! lol

-Matt

Matt Hamilton                                       matth at netsight.co.uk