[_] OT: large conference venues in Bristol

Rick Hurst rick.hurst at
Fri Dec 18 16:31:07 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Matt Hamilton <matth at> wrote:

> They could be good... but again they are quite far out the centre, and
> I really want somewhere within walking distance of the centre so
> people can explore bristol a bit and go out for meals and drinks etc.
> I'd rather not have everyone stuck out on a campus out of town.

I think being in the city is key to it - people can book hotels or
cheaper accomodation anywhere they like, but for many delegates the
opportunity to visit somewhere interesting and explore in the evenings
is a massive factor in whether they attend or not. It doesn't have to
be an actual conference venue though matt - remeber the plone conf in
vienna was in a nightclub - that was a really good venue, especially
the party on the last night where I remember watching two female
non-delegates wandering in and promptly back out when they were
confronted by the sight of an empty dancefloor and 300 mostly male
geeks standing round the bar!

Rick Hurst, Freelance Web Developer, Bristol, UK