[_] OT: large conference venues in Bristol

Daniel Hilton daniel.hilton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 15:53:13 GMT 2009

2009/12/18 Matt Hamilton <matth at netsight.co.uk>:

> On 18 Dec 2009, at 15:15, Richard Dennys wrote:
>
>> Or, alternatively you could do a Google search for "conference
>> venues in
>> Bristol" for which the number one result is:
>>
>> http://www.conference-bristol.co.uk/
>>
>> <http://www.conference-bristol.co.uk/>Run by Destination Bristol.
>> Has all
>> you need, I used this a lot in my previous life as MD of a
>> conferencing and
>> travel business.
>
> Yeah I had a look there, but not much that fits the bill, only the
> ones I've already mentioned. I was hoping someone might come out with
> something a bit leftfield. I'm even wondering about ideas such as
> marquees on the downs etc.
>
>> Make sure you haggle on rates, hard, as they are all struggling for
>> business, as well as payment terms.
>>
>> Also if you need negotiating overnight stays I still know most of
>> the hotel
>> GMs in the area and they would kill for a piece of a big city
>> conference at
>> the moment now the Radisson has just opened with room nights at £75
>> for a
>> double.
>
> Ta for the info :)
>
>> Don't use Ashton Gate, as it will put off any north bristolians /
>> gasheads
>> (assuming part of your audience is local)
>
> No, Audience is far from local. Last time this was held there were
> people from about 30 different countries there.

I would try venues.org.uk and http://www.venuefinder.com/

They're the two leading online directories of venues in the uk.
Marquees are damn expensive, especially as you then need to think
about toilets, security overnight, power etc, etc.

Does it *have* to be in central Bristol? Is it an accommodation /
transport issue?
Cheers,
Dan