[_] The old 'plot UK addresses on a Google Map' quandry

Daniel Hilton daniel.hilton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 14:10:55 GMT 2009

2009/12/18 Dan Bramall <dan at iomi.net>:
> Thanks George.
>
> I've tried using the GlocalSearch class as per the tomanthony.co.uk link you
> suggested, but got stuck when I needed to add a record id variable to the
> localSearch.setSearchCompleteCallback function, which I don't think is
> possible.  I basically couldn't find a way to dynamically geocode addresses
> and plot them along with their relevant title, image etc (for the pop-up
> window) on the map.
>
> I've had a look at your code on greenaddict.eu but it appears that you're
> hard-coding the lat/lng coordinates in your company array as opposed to
> dynamically generating this from the maps API.  In my case, I only have
> addresses not lat/lng in the data feed.
>
> I'll give GlocalSearch another shot, but I fear I'll be in the exact same
> position in two hours time.
>
> The V3 API lets you plot addresses on a map very very simply, but it limits
> each call to just a few records, and the user experience won't allow me to
> set a delay in the script to batch this up.  It's frustrating that they
> can't open that up even on a commercial basis.

What about varying your geocoding services?
http://developer.yahoo.com/maps/rest/V1/geocode.html
Use that to get the long,lat and then put it into the google map.

Or as you said, use the new api but just cache the requests using a
key(photo-id/url),value(long,lat) pair.
Thus not hitting the limit for each request.

HTH
Dan