[_] O/T I-Max cinema

Sam Ross s3d at mac.com
Wed Dec 16 23:59:36 GMT 2009

> From: Tom Gidden <tom at gidden.net>
>
> On 16 Dec 2009, at 15:12, Sam Ross wrote:
>>
>> However, it's definitely worth taking a day-trip to London, as you can't beat a really big screen IMAX for action.
>
> Tempting... I saw one of the Matrix sequels at the BFI IMAX, and apart from the uncomfortable seats; lack of legroom; broken a/c in summer; expensive ticket prices; poor refreshments; weird showing times; a complete electrical blackout of a good part of London postponing the showing altogether; and finally, the actual film being a bit poo, it was a fabulous experience.

If the last time you went to BFI IMAX was when the Matrix sequels came out, you really need to visit again. They've completely replaced the seats and the luxury ones at the back are great. The whole experience is still pricey, but less so than what you used to get for your money at Bristol, where uncomfortable seats; lack of legroom; broken a/c in summer; expensive ticket prices; poor refreshments; weird showing times etc. (except blackouts) were all par for the course...

> I'm just not sure whether or not to do it for Avatar.  I've been siding with Mark Kermode on the whole 3D -v- 2D argument, and additionally think that the sound and fury of IMAX can detract from the film.  I'm going to see what Kermode says about Avatar first... whether 3D and/or IMAX actually improves the film, as opposed to just the experience.

Personally, I find it all depends on how the film was conceived. Films that were made with IMAX in mind (especially 3D films, whether they be the whole thing, or in part) work really well. Where IMAX was an afterthought, it's a bit lacking in both audio and visuals as you said. The best film I've ever seen at IMAX was the last Batman film. 2D, not 3D, but the whole film was produced for the format and it really worked, even in the seats we had which were about three rows from the front! The Joker that close-up was an experience in itself...

Stop being so tight and get out the house! ;p