[_] Is the internet good and that?

Thomas Buckley-Houston tom at tombh.co.uk
Tue Dec 15 12:21:14 GMT 2009

> I was fascinated listening to Clay Shirky's talk (thanks for the link Sam)
and his idea of accountable journalism and the dangers that the new
commercial models being imposed
> by the internet will have on it. His reference to the Treaty of Westphalia
(I did have to look it up) as an example of the profound social benefits
that the printing press brought
> was striking. Although it took 100 years, the printing press was *the*
decisive factor in saving millions of Protestants from religious
persecution. Could the internet tap into the
> same magnitude of social change?

Clay Shirky's ideas feature in my last blog post about cyberpilgrimage if
anyone's interested;

http://www.tombh.co.uk/2009/12/cyberpilgrimage/