[_] exclusivity agreements

Chris Heeney grungi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 10:51:04 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Chris Heeney <grungi at gmail.com> wrote:

> You would have to think on Rick's point here.
> Who are there competitors?
>
> For example let's say you were handling a used car lot.
> There are bags of competitors here and you may be stabbing yourself in the
> foot, so a higher rate is needed.
>
> But what if the market was niche, like santa shaped butt-plugs (I'm in the
> holiday spirit, can you tell?)
> Well then an exclusivity agreement isn't too much of a problem is it and
> you could probably still get away with a 5% hike.
>
> Think how much the potential business is, if they list 5 companies say that
> you'll do it for a % extra per customer.  So for 2 you might do it for 10%
> extra to the net amount (5% per competitor).
>
> Are they signing a deal with you for x amount of years?
>
> These are the kind of things to think of.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

P.S.  Before you sign you might want to call said competitors and see if
they'll be tendering for any web work in the near future. I personally don't
know if I'd be ethically OK to do this but it's what seems somewhat
sensible.

P.P.S. Also before I forget, think about the branding - if this is Orange or
a major record label etc. you're dealing with then it certainly is in your
favour to sign the exclusivity agreement, these companies could be throwing
oodles of work at you and bump your portfolio through the roof.