[_] SEO gone crazy

Ray Brooks ray.userinterface at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 8 16:40:10 GMT 2009

2009/12/8 Jason Taverner <jason.taverner1 at btinternet.com>:
> Blimey, I've been doing all wrong for years! But I'd like to do it
> right...
>
> So instead of 'Home' it should say 'Introductory text' or 'General
> waffle to cram some keywords in'?
>
> On 8 Dec 2009, at 16:19, Ray Brooks wrote:

No, "introductory text" is also bad. It doesn't actually give you any
hint of the content. Imagine an image element. You wouldn't make the
alt text of the picture "A picture" because it tells you nothing.
Instead, you would describe the content of the picture, for example
"Happy dog on a skateboard" or "Angry cat in a tumble dryer".
Similarly, if your introductory paragraph was a piece about how your
company was the best at what it does, your alt text for the link might
be "Why you should use our services"...