[_] SEO gone crazy

Jon Free jon at tangymedia.co.uk
Tue Dec 8 13:30:00 GMT 2009

(_),

Just had a request from a client that I wanted to get a general opinion on.
I think it's a stupid idea but don't have enough facts to ruin the idea.
They are trying to fix the ratio of words on the homepage in an attempt to
make these words perform better. The site has a main menu made up of
standard text links, no images or background images at all. They have
requested that we rebuild the menu using images to replace the actual text
within each link. Their thinking being that these words are diluting the
ratio of other more important words on the page.

Does this seem a bit far fetched? Surely there are vast numbers of sites out
there with menus like this that have awesome SEO regardless.

I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks