[_] ? New, "Google DNS" - Why ?

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Mon Dec 7 10:36:15 GMT 2009

On 4 Dec 2009, at 14:19, Steve James wrote:

> 2009/12/4 Amias Channer <me at amias.net>:
>> On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 18:14 +0000, Steve James wrote:
>>>
>>> So the problem Google is solving .. making available another DNS
>>> server so you can choose something other than your ISP's DNS
>>> offerings.
>>
>> its not really a problem , you can use any DNS server that you
>> can have a valid route for port 53 to. I often use other ISP's DNS
>
> Yeah yeah,,
>
> So to re-cap Google isn't actually solving a problem just offering
> another option.**
>
> ** along with all benefits google will gain as mentioned already

Well one of the main benefits they are touting is that they are using
an anycast address and that they already have a global 'edge' network,
so the chances are you will be closer to a Google DNS server than you
will be an OpenDNS one. But your own ISPs should be the closest.

I can see a use for this, we exhibit at trade shows and often the DNS
configured for the internet connection there is dire and under too
much load, so I normally VPN back to the office and use Netsight's DNS
servers (which will only allow our customers to use them). Using
Google DNS might be a better option at that point.

But the best option would be for ISPs to decently provision their DNS
servers.

-Matt

Matt Hamilton                                       matth at netsight.co.uk