[_] ? New, "Google DNS" - Why ?

Oliver Humpage oliver at watershed.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 13:31:21 GMT 2009

On 4 Dec 2009, at 12:34, Amias Channer wrote:

> its not really a problem , you can use any DNS server that you
> can have a valid route for port 53 to.

Well, you can use any openly recursing DNS server: many won't respond
to your query because you're not on their allowed list of machines
(trying a few at random, some ISPs block, some don't). But I'm sure
you knew that :)

> I wont be using it , opendns is annoying enough and any DNS
> server that returns anything other than no result for a domain
> that doesn't exist is broken and bad for the internet.

Apparently the Google DNS service does return proper NXDOMAINs, and
doesn't redirect you to advertising (that's their USP over OpenDNS).

Oliver.