[_] ? New, "Google DNS" - Why ?

Oliver Humpage oliver at
Fri Dec 4 13:31:21 GMT 2009

On 4 Dec 2009, at 12:34, Amias Channer wrote:

> its not really a problem , you can use any DNS server that you
> can have a valid route for port 53 to.

Well, you can use any openly recursing DNS server: many won't respond
to your query because you're not on their allowed list of machines
(trying a few at random, some ISPs block, some don't). But I'm sure
you knew that :)

> I wont be using it , opendns is annoying enough and any DNS
> server that returns anything other than no result for a domain
> that doesn't exist is broken and bad for the internet.

Apparently the Google DNS service does return proper NXDOMAINs, and
doesn't redirect you to advertising (that's their USP over OpenDNS).