[_] ? New, "Google DNS" - Why ?

Amias Channer me at amias.net
Fri Dec 4 12:34:35 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 18:14 +0000, Steve James wrote:

> So the problem Google is solving .. making available another DNS
> server so you can choose something other than your ISP's DNS
> offerings.

its not really a problem , you can use any DNS server that you
can have a valid route for port 53 to. I often use other ISP's DNS
servers for testing if the ISP i'm using has DNS issues which can
happen alot as they are quite the honeypot.

I could see this being helpful for DDOS mitigation and or filtering
of malware whilst also giving google the advantage of having the most up
to date DNS servers.

I wont be using it , opendns is annoying enough and any DNS
server that returns anything other than no result for a domain
that doesn't exist is broken and bad for the internet.

Toodle-pip
Amias