[_] Underscore, people's perceptions and recent unpleasantness

Steve Roome me at stephenroome.com
Wed Dec 2 22:10:32 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 08:50:12AM -0500, rw at well.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie here. And yes, it was quite frustrating to see the way the
> argument unfolded. I read most of it because I'm still trying to get a feel
> for this place. But eventually I had to just start deleting the emails
> because it went on and on and didn't seem to be getting anywhere. It
> prompted me to take a look back over the filed conversations to get a rough
> idea of the proportion of useful posts to pointless argumentative ones.
> Turns out it was about 50/50. Which gets me thinking that there must be
> better groups out there and that this forum may well be wasting too much of
> my time.

I think the internet as a whole has always been like this. 50% looks like a
good hit ratio to me.

Like others I find that with a good threading mail client (mutt for me) that
I delete entire threads from underscore without a seconds worth of thought.

But some of the other threads have been invaluable. The digest version has
been useful at times too. (obviously don't reply with the entire content,
as that never seems to go down too well!)

	Steve