[_] Font embedding

Steve Kirtley steve.kirtley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 10:33:36 GMT 2009

@font-face can be quite useful if carefully considered - there are still a
number of browsers which do not support it [1], and some of the CSS
properties put in place to smooth a transition to a standard font-family are
not implemented correctly yet... (e.g. font-size-adjust).

All this said - by it's nature of falling back to to a specified system font
makes it the ideal progressive enhancement to a design that doesn't *need*
to be in a specific font.

If you're doing anything particularly clever detecting browsers support or
lack of for @font-face can be a pain - only working(ish) solution I've seen
is the modernizr.js file, which does slow page load... but by doing JS
detection it does make it a doddle to fall back to sifr / cufon / images in
other browsers.

Steve

[1] - http://webfonts.info/wiki/index.php?title=@font-face_browser_support