[_] Font embedding

Thomas Buckley-Houston tom at tombh.co.uk
Wed Dec 2 08:54:40 GMT 2009

2009/12/2 Speedwolf <speedwolf at gmail.com>

> Seems like the web is starting to grow up a little regarding font faces.
> I read Zeldman's relatively recent article on embedding but it didn't
> really clear things up. What's the current acceptable technology that
> Underscorer's are using in the real world and what caveats should I be
> aware of?

It's so easy, I can't believe I waited so long to get into it. I would
suggest getting on down to fontsquirrel.com, not only do they stock only
embeddably-licensed fonts, but they've automated a whole fontkit thing, that
contains the font(s) in all the relevant types, ttf, otf and eot (even svg I
think!) _and_  provides the CSS! Font Squirrel FTW!

I would personally say we're not quite there with cross-browser support, I'm
seeing a few hiccups with the way in which font-styles (bold/italic) are
being rendered, or not at all in some cases.

But, yeah, I say go for it definitely.

tom :)