[_] Extracting info using Google Local Search API

Alex Bovey alex at bovey.co.uk
Tue Dec 1 14:46:29 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Daniel Hilton <daniel.hilton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm you maybe coming foul of a scraper limiting system ;-)

I thought I might :)  I just wrongly assumed that all the search
results when using Google's own interface would be available to the
API.

> I'd change track - why not use this:
> http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=264574#Post264574
>
> Open in Google earth, select just the uk layer and then export it.

Good option and I like that approach, but sadly it doesn't seem to be
a very comprehensive list as there is nothing anywhere near Bristol
for example, yet the Google local search comes up with quite a few
(e.g. Ashton Court).

My only other option is to get my script to focus on small areas at a
time and then move to the next area.  But since it becomes apparent
that what I'm trying to do breaches their terms and condiitons I might
have to change approach anyway!

Thanks Dan.

Alex

--
Alex Bovey
Web Developer | Alex Bovey Consultancy Ltd