[_] Extracting info using Google Local Search API

Daniel Hilton daniel.hilton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:57:59 GMT 2009

2009/12/1 Alex Bovey <alex at bovey.co.uk>:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning on using the Google Local Search API to extract a list of
> golf courses in the UK.  I'm finding though that even though the
> estimatedResultCount is in the thousands, I can't get past page 4 of
> the search results.
>
> e.g. this works:
>
> http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/services/search/local?v=1.0&q=category:%22Golf+Courses+%26+Clubs%22&mrt=all&sll=54.550000,-14.400000&sspn=9.300000,33.800000&start=1
>
> But this gives an out of range error:
>
> http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/services/search/local?v=1.0&q=category:%22Golf+Courses+%26+Clubs%22&mrt=all&sll=54.550000,-14.400000&sspn=9.300000,33.800000&start=50
>
> Is that simply because the API won't allow you past the first few
> pages, to stop people doing what I'm trying to?!
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Alex
>
> --
> Alex Bovey
> Web Developer | Alex Bovey Consultancy Ltd
> Registered in England & Wales no. 6471391 | VAT no. 934 8959 65

Hmmm you maybe coming foul of a scraper limiting system ;-)

I'd change track - why not use this:
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=264574#Post264574

Open in Google earth, select just the uk layer and then export it.

Then you can parse the kml (which is an xml format of name and
lat,long pairs ) into a database.
If you have a look around keyhole BBS you'll find all sorts of great
geographical data.

http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/ for more info on kml.

If you need any more help contact me off list as I've done a bit of
this sort of thing.

HTH
Dan

--