[_] Extracting info using Google Local Search API

Daniel Hilton daniel.hilton at
Tue Dec 1 13:57:59 GMT 2009

2009/12/1 Alex Bovey <alex at>:
> Hi all,
> I'm planning on using the Google Local Search API to extract a list of
> golf courses in the UK.  I'm finding though that even though the
> estimatedResultCount is in the thousands, I can't get past page 4 of
> the search results.
> e.g. this works:
> But this gives an out of range error:
> Is that simply because the API won't allow you past the first few
> pages, to stop people doing what I'm trying to?!
> Thanks all,
> Alex
> --
> Alex Bovey
> Web Developer | Alex Bovey Consultancy Ltd
> Registered in England & Wales no. 6471391 | VAT no. 934 8959 65

Hmmm you maybe coming foul of a scraper limiting system ;-)

I'd change track - why not use this:

Open in Google earth, select just the uk layer and then export it.

Then you can parse the kml (which is an xml format of name and
lat,long pairs ) into a database.
If you have a look around keyhole BBS you'll find all sorts of great
geographical data. for more info on kml.

If you need any more help contact me off list as I've done a bit of
this sort of thing.

Dan Hilton