[_] Underscore, people's perceptions and recent unpleasantness

Tim Beadle tim.beadle at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:44:58 GMT 2009

I just wanted to point out that the recent thread involving
recruitment "spam" has elicited the following comments on Twitter:

"I recently popped into underscore again for the 1st time in years -
saw it was as bad as I remembered and immediately backed away!"

"'fraid I'm the same: "Ooh, forgot about Underscore...." ~opens
browser~ ~reads abuse~ ~leaves for another year~"

It wasn't that long ago that we tried (and it worked for a while) to
foster a more pleasant list environment. I know the internet can bring
out the worst in people (and sometimes the best, too), but whoever
said "you wouldn't say that to someone's face" had it spot on.

Let's not turn people away because we can't stop for ten seconds, take
a deep breath and reconsider what we write.

Peace, love, unity &c.

Tim