[_] Extracting info using Google Local Search API

Alex Bovey alex at bovey.co.uk
Tue Dec 1 11:50:06 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I'm planning on using the Google Local Search API to extract a list of
golf courses in the UK.  I'm finding though that even though the
estimatedResultCount is in the thousands, I can't get past page 4 of
the search results.

e.g. this works:

http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/services/search/local?v=1.0&q=category:%22Golf+Courses+%26+Clubs%22&mrt=all&sll=54.550000,-14.400000&sspn=9.300000,33.800000&start=1

But this gives an out of range error:

http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/services/search/local?v=1.0&q=category:%22Golf+Courses+%26+Clubs%22&mrt=all&sll=54.550000,-14.400000&sspn=9.300000,33.800000&start=50

Is that simply because the API won't allow you past the first few
pages, to stop people doing what I'm trying to?!

Thanks all,

Alex

--
Alex Bovey
Web Developer | Alex Bovey Consultancy Ltd