[_] Interactive DVD - advice

Stefan Goodchild underscore at stefangoodchild.com
Fri Nov 7 15:54:07 GMT 2008

On 7 Nov 2008, at 15:30, Rob Enslin wrote:

> That's useful advice Tim. Could you recommend a professional agency
> that
> could put a DVD together - from the actual content to the DVD
> printing and
> cases?
> -- Rob

I was in touch with Ian Shepherd at SRT a while back ( http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/
  ) and he knows his stuff, beyond that there are loads of DVD authors
around, but it is a bit of a dark art to get something that plays well
across a large range of DVD players so there is a big difference
between a "DVD Author" who'll knock out a DVD of your old VHS tapes
with Encore and someone who actually knows the spec, the pitfalls and
the tools and how to get round the bugs and properly test it.

If you think browsers are bad with the W3C specs you should multiply
that by however many DVD manufacturers there are!

DVD Studio Pro for instance doesn't create very nice DVDs as far as
the spec goes, but can work.  I'd never in a million years suggest you
press from DVD Studio Pro without some serious digging around for a
few days with something like http://www.dvdafteredit.com/ to clean it
all up.  It does the same kind of insane things to a DVD that iWeb
does to web pages.

As far as what your client needs it's entirely possible.  I used DVD
Creator (about £20k per seat back then) to do the Peter Gabriel DVDs
and you can do some really quite interesting stuff once you go down
the DVD shaped rabbit hole.

Stefan

--
http://jivatechnology.com