[_] UK ignores logic, backs 20-year music copyright extension

Chris Kaminski chris at setmajer.com
Tue Dec 16 08:17:39 GMT 2008

On 16 Dec 2008, at 00:29, Mark Chitty wrote:

> whilst we may agree or not agree with the 'morality' of copyright,
> its hard
> to deny that technology is very rapidly making it completely un-
> enforceable
> across a large section of the market. a whole generation of kids are
> growing
> up expecting to share music freely, and whilst people are using
> services
> such as iTunes, i bet you its more because of the convenience rather
> than
> any moral obligation.

Well, I recall reading studies suggesting that people *will* pay if
it's not too big a hassle (thinking here of some of the diobolical DRM
schemes which make it easier to just download from bittorrent or
whatever — looking at you, region encoding; and you too, non-HDMI
downsampling).

Not being able to find them, however, convenience is one very good way
to get people to pony up. Make it easy for them to find and enjoy
music, and they'll fork over for it. Like, say, by encoding it on
plastic discs and sell them in the local department store so they can
listen to it wherever they want, whenever they want instead of only at
a concert.

ck