[_] Python and Ruby differences

Dan Fairs dan.fairs at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:26:33 BST 2007

> Does anyone know the origins of why python uses whitespace rather
> than some form of blocks/closures like every other programming
> language? There is probably some crazy reason/story somewhere!

I don't know the origins, I'm afraid. However, it's always pointed
out that you indent anyway in every other language, so Python's
removal of explicit block delimiters simply improves readability.

For those who are interested, Guido van Rossum's (the creator of
Python) blog links to this article, dispelling some of the myths
about Python's whitespace sensitivity. It's moderately technical :)

   http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/Python/block_indentation.hawk

 From the article:

"So the conclusion is: Python forces you to use indentation that you
would have used anyway, unless you wanted to obfuscate the structure
of the program. In other words: Python does not allow to obfuscate
the structure of a program by using bogus indentations. In my
opinion, that's a very good thing."

Cheers,
Dan

--