More information about the Underscore mailing list

[_] Web Project for Gloucester company (Mark Chitty)

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue May 29 09:32:39 BST 2007

On 28/05/07, Steve Roome <steve at pepcross.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 02:21:58PM +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> > I still haven't signed up.
>
> Perhaps you ought to, it's a bit silly to comment on something you've
> not really used.

I *have* used it - or at least attempted to without having to sign up
be one of the clueless sheep.

> Especially the bit about bands. e.g. If Deep Purple (tee hee) couldn't
> do markup and had a poor record label should we have disregarded them
> too just 'cause their advertising and marketing were rubbish ?
>

Feh. It's more like if deep purple did a handwritten fanzine about
themselves and photocopied it on toilet paper, which they didn't, so
you can't compare ;)

> > I hate the way you have to sign up to "interact" with it, as is the
> > case with most social software, I also hate the way it works when just
> > browsing it - it's a very good reason to wish for a  "mute tab"
> > firefox plugin - it manages to combine the worst aspects of blogging,
> > instant messaging and vanity publishing for the clueless.
> >
> > It's only popular because of the 'you have to subscribe to interact
> > with your friends who use it' lock-in and because everybody has heard
> > of it and not the many decent systems for self-publishing.
> >
> > The only reasons I had to look at myspace were a few old friends who
> > signed up - the only one who regularly used it has closed her account
> > because of all the wierdos stalking and bothering her via it, and the
> > others never managed to do more than sign up and put up an empty page.
>
> Erm, are you dissing your old-friends on a public mailing list ?

No - they don't actually like it that much, as I said - people only
sign up because friends ask you to so that they can use it to talk to
you, then people get tired of it being rubbish and return to sms and
email - at least that's my experience - do you have anything that
isn't equally anecdotal to contradict that?

> > I keep on hearing about bands that are on it, and just disregard them
> > until they make the effort to put together a proper web page - I don't
> > really want to have to use a pish low quality myspace plugin to listen
> > to their song at a low bitrate in snatches of a few seconds at a time.
>
> This is not the case, sign up and check your facts.

Again, IME, it is how it happens, I looked at a couple of pages
mentioned on the local radio station for local bands, put me right
off.

> > lame lame lame, it's like 1999 all over again.
>
> No, not really. But you say you haven't signed up, so how would you
> know, it's like film reviewers who haven't watched the film.

How does signing up suddenly make a page less ugly and the bitrate or
lag for streamed music any less shite?

> Clips are not usually ten seconds long and though the bit rate may be
> bad, I've been to see a few bands from myspace and have made a few
> friends that way. Like real life people I meet and go watch their
> gigs. Even the worst clips I've put on myspace I'm quite happy with
> the quality through myspace. The shortest is about 20 seconds, the
> others are all over a minute long. The bitrate is fine.

YMMV. Entirely subjective. I expect far better quality than I've seen
on myspace.

> Still, you carry on dissing it all you like having clearly not used it
> properly.

How do I use it properly? Do I have to lose all sense of taste,
pretend I don't know how the internet has worked for the last 15
years, and that it isn't a step backwards by a decade?

> > > Sure i'm whinging - i'm a web developer who likes to discuss strengths and
> > > weaknesses in websites, and underscore is the online community where I go to
> > > do it, I don't need to "get over it", because i'm not actually *upset* by
> > > it, I just enjoy discussing/debating good and bad design....
> >
> > I personally find all the cheerleading about it in the media rather
> > distasteful, not to mention the idiotic 'lots of people are using it,
> > it must be good' nonsense - lots of people eat at mcdonalds - heck the
> > Angus Steak House restaurants in london are still busy enough to pay
> > west end rates. see Rule 1 [1].
>
> Actually it is good for me merely because lots of people do use it.

That's nice for you.

> It's possible that they all hate it too, but it does bring people
> together and it has, no matter what your personal, technical or
> whatever issues with it, meant I have met (IRL) a lot of really
> interesting people I probably won't meet by just talking to elitist
> techies who think everything should be done with perl and just cause
> something is buggy and crashy thinks it's useless.

Maybe I've been writing decent software for too long, because I *do*
think that if something is buggy and crashy it's next to useless.

> And yes, I'm using elitist in a derogatory sense here.

>From a myspace user I take that as a positive thing.

> Who cares, in many ways perl is just dire, and I have actually used it
> a little, once or twice.

You really are a clueless troll. I make a living from building large
internet systems, that means I keep up with how they are done - and
myspace is an example of how not to in many ways.

> Sorry, Aaron, but it looks to me like you're playing underscore the
> same way our long lost, and still unnamed, friend from the past played
> it. Permanently set to troll mode.

Jesus - one post dissing myspace and I'm a troll. GFY.


A.

-- 
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk
LAMP System Integration, Development and Hosting