[_] Web Project for Gloucester company (Mark Chitty)

Steve Roome steve at pepcross.com
Mon May 28 18:31:27 BST 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 02:21:58PM +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> I still haven't signed up.

Perhaps you ought to, it's a bit silly to comment on something you've
not really used.

Especially the bit about bands. e.g. If Deep Purple (tee hee) couldn't
do markup and had a poor record label should we have disregarded them
too just 'cause their advertising and marketing were rubbish ?

I think you're trolling and I claim my £5.

> I hate the way you have to sign up to "interact" with it, as is the
> case with most social software, I also hate the way it works when just
> browsing it - it's a very good reason to wish for a  "mute tab"
> firefox plugin - it manages to combine the worst aspects of blogging,
> instant messaging and vanity publishing for the clueless.
>
> It's only popular because of the 'you have to subscribe to interact
> with your friends who use it' lock-in and because everybody has heard
> of it and not the many decent systems for self-publishing.
>
> The only reasons I had to look at myspace were a few old friends who
> signed up - the only one who regularly used it has closed her account
> because of all the wierdos stalking and bothering her via it, and the
> others never managed to do more than sign up and put up an empty page.

Erm, are you dissing your old-friends on a public mailing list ?

> I keep on hearing about bands that are on it, and just disregard them
> until they make the effort to put together a proper web page - I don't
> really want to have to use a pish low quality myspace plugin to listen
> to their song at a low bitrate in snatches of a few seconds at a time.

This is not the case, sign up and check your facts.

> lame lame lame, it's like 1999 all over again.

No, not really. But you say you haven't signed up, so how would you
know, it's like film reviewers who haven't watched the film.

Clips are not usually ten seconds long and though the bit rate may be
bad, I've been to see a few bands from myspace and have made a few
friends that way. Like real life people I meet and go watch their
gigs. Even the worst clips I've put on myspace I'm quite happy with
the quality through myspace. The shortest is about 20 seconds, the
others are all over a minute long. The bitrate is fine.

Still, you carry on dissing it all you like having clearly not used it
properly.

> > Sure i'm whinging - i'm a web developer who likes to discuss strengths and
> > weaknesses in websites, and underscore is the online community where I go to
> > do it, I don't need to "get over it", because i'm not actually *upset* by
> > it, I just enjoy discussing/debating good and bad design....
>
> I personally find all the cheerleading about it in the media rather
> distasteful, not to mention the idiotic 'lots of people are using it,
> it must be good' nonsense - lots of people eat at mcdonalds - heck the
> Angus Steak House restaurants in london are still busy enough to pay
> west end rates. see Rule 1 [1].

Actually it is good for me merely because lots of people do use it.

It's possible that they all hate it too, but it does bring people
together and it has, no matter what your personal, technical or
whatever issues with it, meant I have met (IRL) a lot of really
interesting people I probably won't meet by just talking to elitist
techies who think everything should be done with perl and just cause
something is buggy and crashy thinks it's useless.

And yes, I'm using elitist in a derogatory sense here.

> [1] the rules (from the london perl mongers irc channel's omniscient bot) are :
>
> Rule 0 : "even if you know the rules, you're still a person"
> Rule 1 : "people are stupid; this is the answer to many questions"
> Rule 2 : "people are lazy"
> Rule 3 : "people don't like change"

Who cares, in many ways perl is just dire, and I have actually used it
a little, once or twice.

Sorry, Aaron, but it looks to me like you're playing underscore the
same way our long lost, and still unnamed, friend from the past played
it. Permanently set to troll mode.

I'm still a sucker for it though but I will leave this one here as
you've finally made my point about people being pompous and elitist
perfectly for me.

Go try it out properly and come back later.

        Steve