[_] DNS providers

Steve Kirtley steve.kirtley at gmail.com
Wed May 23 08:38:39 BST 2007

You're absolutely right in what you say, and I wasn't going into any
great level of detail in my original post.

When using managed DNS - such as through 123reg, 1&1 etc etc you
usually rely on control panels to enter DNS A Records/cnames etc etc.
My experience is that lots of these tools take a good while from
entering the new/amended details to them spreading around fully.

Completely agree that this can be due to TTL, batching of requests and
a few other factors besides. A good example I've noted this week is a
client who registered a domain through EasySpace (not on my advice)
had to wait 24 hours before the DNS data replicated from whichever
database was behind their control panel, to the actual DNS zone files.

My point on 123-reg was simply that they have their TTL entries set
low by default, and that their control panel writes changes to the NS'
in real time. With a lot of the equally cheap providers I find you can
have to allow a day to set a subdomain up for use - with 123 (as it
should be) you can do this in minutes...

I knew I should have kept my post to '123-reg are pretty good' - if
only I could go back in time as you say...