[_] DNS providers

Steve Roome steve at pepcross.com
Wed May 23 01:18:14 BST 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 08:30:08PM +0100, Steve Kirtley wrote:
> It just means they've got their DNS servers & control panel configured so
> that changes are made instantly when submitted through control panel, and
> tend to spread (propagate) to all the DNS servers out there (e.g. ISP's
> caching DNS records giving faster access for their customers)...

But that doesn't make any sense. If you have control over your DNS then
the various TTL's and Refreshes and so on are within YOUR control, so
the amount of time they take to "Propagate" is entirely up to you and
how much load you want to put on your ISP's nameservers.

At least, to my meagre understanding of DNS it would seem to be that
way anyway. Sort of why I asked the question. (I hear this propagation
stuff a lot.)

It's interesting as this view of DNS propagation has only ever been
something I've noticed with web developers, other networking people
seem to get it differently.

I figure you've all got really rubbish hosting deals or something
with providers trying to claim strange and outlandish things such
as the ability to change the past (which is what this would require
if the theory of companies with fast propagating DNS was true)

It's also, only really valid for changes, new hostnames should update
as quick as you like (as long as you're changing the primary DNS
server). The propagation delay could just be how long the rubbish
web interfaces take to update.

Adding new hostnames (well, domain names) should work instantly
with any half-decent DNS provider. Otherwise they're just providing
the service about an hour after you press the web page buttons due
to batching or other practices that make it a bit easier for them
while they just baffle their customers with this clever propagation
psuedojargon.

IMHO, And I'm waiting to be rebuked now by underscores DNS ubergeek
who will no doubt surface and explain my erroneous thinking!

I really don't mean to sound rude in any of this, but I thought
that this might be the answer and it worries me that so many people
might be just being led on by their suppliers.

It's my damn morals again... what sort of contractor am I eh?!

	Steve