[_] Website monitoring software?

Tom Gidden tom at gidden.net
Wed Nov 1 13:24:50 GMT 2006

On 1 Nov 2006, at 12:22, Matt Kane wrote:

> We use AQL for our SMS (HTTP Interface, not email) and I've never
> had an SMS take more than 5 seconds to arrive. Obviously past
> performance cannot etc etc..

Unfortunately, I have. :(

I don't assess reliability of a system based on whether it's failed
before or not, but whether it's correctly designed to be resilient.
Better to assume it's unreliable until you have evidence otherwise.

Fortunately, it's now a lot rarer than it was way back when. I asked
an Orange engineer back in about 1996, and he told me that the SMSC
was linked to the main network with the X.25 equivalent of a wet
piece of string, and sometimes it could take days for a message to
get through. Luckily, at Brann we all happened to use different
phone networks and so covered the odds of one of the networks being
unreliable.

Nowadays, SMS service providers can provide delivery reports to
verify receipt of the message. I wouldn't trust a monitoring system
that didn't utilise these and escalate the alert if the message is
not confirmed as delivered.

Tom

--
Tom Gidden