[_] Web Site Critique !

Chris Dawson chris at tallhat.com
Thu May 13 09:37:25 BST 2004

hi glynn,
my first thoughts....
the "add to shopping bag" links get a bit lost on the product pages (it
looks like every other link). i know you're trying to keep the design
understated and clean but the button that you WANT people to press should
REALLY STAND OUT.

this is even more of an issue when you go into the shopping bag. it took me
a while to locate the "purchase now" link. bottom right is the LAST place
the eye goes, and again the list doesn't stand out.

i think there may also be a wording issue. i've got very used to the wording
"proceed to checkout" from shopping carts. "purchase now" sounds good but
it's a *little* non-standard (especially when you consider that many online
stores use the wording "buy now" for the stage ABOVE this (i.e. on a product
page).

i think the combination of slightly non-standard terms (even "shopping bag"
is unusual) with slightly camouflaged links could be the first hurdle.

the second hurdle is the order process. when i click "purchase now" i don't
get ANY confirmation of my order price. i'm just asked for my personal
details. this may scream "spam" (or at the very least i may think "this is
going to be several pages of details i need to enter, this will take too
long) and at this point people may be pitching out of the whole thing. can
you put an order summary on the first checkout screen? or combine the pages
into one?

chris

chris dawson
...[web design, concepts, consultancy, flash animation and scripting]
http://www.tallhat.com (last update: 16 March 2004)
phone 01225 445505
mobile 07719 918251