[_] Assessing traffic for mailing lists

Ben Edwards ben at videonetwork.org
Wed Jun 18 23:11:00 BST 2003

I'me using mailman, so I guess this is a question for Matt, our illustrious
list provider, maybe I should look illustrious up in a dictionary -:o)

Ben

At 22:41 18/06/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 18, 2003 9:45:04 PM Ben wrote:
>
> > For douse sending a 1k email to 100 recipients use 100k on bandwidth.
>
>It depends.
>
>If you are sending through an ISP's SMTP server, and use BCC: sending a 1k
>mail to 100 recipients will use 1k of the bandwidth from you to the ISP's
>server.
>
>Many ISPs will restrict the number of recipients to 50 or 100 to prevent
>spamming.
>
>If you are sending the 1k email from your own server, yes it will use 100k
>of bandwidth.
>
>--
>
>Iain
>mailto:underscore at hairydog.co.uk
>

>--

* Ben Edwards Tel +44 (0)1179 553 551 ICQ 42000477 *
* Webhosting for the masses http://www.serverone.co.uk *
* Critical Site Builder http://www.criticaldistribution.com *
* online collaborative web authoring content management system *
* Get alt news/views films online http://www.cultureshop.org *
* i-Contact Progressive Video http://www.videonetwork.org *
* Fun corporate graphics http://www.subvertise.org *
* Bristol Indymedia http://bristol.indymedia.org *