[_] WASTE

Iain Harrison underscore at hairydog.co.uk
Sun Jun 1 15:33:00 BST 2003

On Sunday, June 1, 2003 11:35:05 AM Ed wrote:

> well seeing as it's totally decentralised, the messages and transfers are
> encrypted and we have the installer...

> I don't see what they can do about it...

Physically, certainly not: the genie is out of the bottle.

Legally, I suspect not too.

The install program includes a licence.txt that definitely says it
can be freely copied under GPL, as does the install program itself.

They may choose to no longer distribute it under that licence, but it
seems to me that the version that was released is freely
distributable, and there is no way to revoke that license to share.

I have to admit that it is OK as an IRC system, but the added security
and lack of need for a server makes it a wonderful tool. Add in the
file transfer facilities, and it is even better.

It's a pity there is no way to revoke keys, but as long as you only
share among trusted colleagues or friends, I can see a zillion uses
for it.

I've not tried it outside the local network: I'm not sure how well it
will work with our NAT. Has anyone tried it across the internet?

--

Iain
mailto:underscore at hairydog.co.uk