[_] oracle sequences...

Joel Hammond-Turner joel at sift.co.uk
Mon May 27 08:47:00 BST 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 11:47, Alejandro Fernandez wrote:

> Porting postgresql stuff to oracle for 1st time: can you use sequences as
> default values for create table statements like in postgres?

Well, from Oracle's online reference it looks like it... check out
"CREATE SEQUENCE"

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/server.920/a96540/statements_615a.htm#SQLRF01314

Tho I'm guessing you might need a pre-insert trigger instead of in the
default clause.

I'm happy to be enlightened by someone who'se actually USED oracle tho'!

:-)

Joel Hammond-Turner
IT Projects Manager, SiftGroups
Sift, 100 Victoria Street, BRISTOL, BS1 6HZ
tel:+44 117 915 9600 fax:+44 117 915 9630
mob:+44 7778 467326
http://www.sift.co.uk ------------- "Powering Online Communities"