[_] windoze installer problem

E w tenbasetee at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 14 09:53:01 BST 2002

thanks David, I'll give that a try.....

----- Original Message -----
From: David Waters
Sent: 14 June 2002 01:06
To: underscore at under-score.org.uk
Subject: RE: [_] windoze installer problem

Hi Ed,

The LBA (Logical Block Addressing) setting refers to the transfer method
that's used to access the drive. It's pretty much the current standard
for drive access and replaces CHS (Cylinder, Head, Sector - sometimes
helpfully called 'Normal') transfer method since they had an upper limit
of 528MB (504MiB)** that was addressable. Nowadays you should steer well
clear of CHS. You might also come across a translation method called
LARGE. This is pretty much an extended version of CHS and is now
considered non-standard.

You can change these setting from your PCs BIOS - in might be worth
having a hunt around for the transfer setting in the BIOS. It's usually
set to auto, but in the past, I've known motherboards to trip up and
pick the wrong setting so it's sometimes worth a shot manually setting
it to LBA. Incidentally, the outcome of it picking the wrong one is a
file system that - as far as Windows is concerned - has bad blocks.

It's then probably worth Fdisk'ing the drive and formatting it manually
from DOS - I never trust the Windows install routine with formatting,
especially Win98 as it feel a little flakey when it does it.

Hope this helps out a bit,

Cheers,

Dave (W)

**This was a stupidly large amount when I had a 20MB drive