[_] Currency prices

Jan Grant Jan.Grant at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Jun 13 12:32:01 BST 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Stephen Roome wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 01:10:23PM +0100, Iain Harrison wrote:
> > On Wednesday, June 12, 2002 12:27:05 PM Peter wrote:
> >
> > > Seen this in the HTML?
> >
> > > *** LEGAL WARNING! ***
> > >     //
> > >     // IF YOU ARE READING THIS, YOU MAY BE CONSIDERING EXTRACTING RATE DATA FROM XE.COM.
> > >     // THIS IS A VIOLATION OF THE LEGAL TERMS OF USE. DATA EXCTRACTION IS NOT PERMITTED.
> > >     // REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS DATA IS PROHIBTED, AND ALL USE OF IT IS STRICTLY GOVERNED
> > >     // BY THE LEGAL TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT LOCATED AT:
> > >     //   http://www.xe.com/legal/
> > >     // IF YOU NEED CURRENCY DATA FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES, WE CAN PROVIDE IT.
> > >     // FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT US AT: datafeed at xe.com
> > >     //
> > >     // WE DO PURSUE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST VIOLATORS OF THE TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT.
> > >     //
> >
> > Interesting point - if this is in as a comment, not visible on
> > the page, I don't think it could be held to be clearly visible to the
> > user.
> >
> > It'd not be difficult to arrange never to see such a disclaimer yet
> > get the figures from the page.
>
> More importantly, and I'm not an internet law expert, but like many
> things, you can put whatever disclaimer you like on a lot of things,
> but it's not always legally binding. Perhaps they only pursue legal
> action each time they find someone nicking their data by ringing their
> solicitor and whining that they need a real way of protecting it.
>
> You could probably hire someone to find out if data made publicly
> available on a website in one format becomes illegal if you transfer
> it to another format. Looks much like they're spreading FUD to me.
>
> [But then I have just drunk most of a bottle of wine, so who knows!]

I would imagine the case would be fought in terms of a breach of
copyright* but I'd be interested if one of _'s lawyers could offer a
(free, non-binding, and personal) opinion about this.

jan

* or "stealing electrons", because let's face it, the law is good like
that.

Tel +44(0)117 9287088 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant at bris.ac.uk
New Freedom of Information Act: theirs, to yours. Happy now?