[_] the wonders of unix tools

Alejandro Fernandez ale at e-group.org
Fri Jun 7 13:59:01 BST 2002

Hi,

My horrible compaq hard disk com-paq'd up last week and after wrestling with tecnicians, support freaks, invoices and all sorts of things that detract from me being able to sit and code like I'm sposed to, I finally got my new hard disk. Except the old one would not copy to the new, and even downloading the new norton ghost which is meant to support ext3 (hence rh7.2+) didn't get me and everyone else unlucky enough to be around me anywhere.

So cp has unlikelyly become my friend. And here's the question:

how do I copy all the .blabla files in my .hiddendir directories off my home drive? I mean useful things like $HOME/.gnome/.gnome-smproxy-JenLma - no not really but there are loads of little files here and there in those subdirs and you never know ... gaim logins for example and past chats with developers on spec details...

Here is one that seemed like it would work  but doesn't:

cp -rpfv /mnt/hd5/ale/.[d-z][a-zA-Z0-9]*/.[a-zA-Z0-9]* /home/ale/

It copies all the subdir stuff into my home drive... Is a for in loop the only way? Could you give a small example? Thanks!

Ale