[_] Competitive clients

Rob W rob at robbiew.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 18:18:37 BST 2001

I think what the client did was out of order.
You are in the business of web developing so that you can make money, not so
that you can make a better website for one company than another then stop
trying to help that part of the sector.
Major web-design companies might design say a website for boots and
superdrug, but you don't get boots saying "tahts not fair for you to make a
site for superdrug".

As for the backend of the website, its surely a good idea to use the same
idea for more than one site.  It lowered your costs and im sure it would
lower the costs of the client too.  You should offer them the choice for a
brand new custom backend at a price.. and then see if they want you to
change it!

You have not done anything wrong, and I think any company with any sense
would understand that you make don't filter the sites that you make so that
you dont make them for competing companies.

maybe just add "please note that, if requested by another client, be making
a site that may be run the same as the website you offer for a company that
competes with you".  but i dunno - i seems pretty obvious anyway

-Rob