[_] Content Management

Rick Hurst rick at starskiweb.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 16:53:04 BST 2001

> Actually, you ought to tout for business more. The advantages of paying
> for someone to come in and fit their code to your current practises are
> generally worth it (providing your current practices actually work).

The other thing is that the systems we do firmly keep presentation seperate
from content. All content sits seperately as a set of defintions in a db,
then is output as HTML, XML,WML or whatever else is required at the end,
including as yet uninvented technology. The only time Tags are included in
the content anywhere is under specific requirements for a bespoke feature
somewhere.

We are working towards an a definitive "off the shelf" system, but we find
that customers requirements are nearly always different. A lot of them also
want a wysiwyg interface whereas our system is currently browser/form based.

I'm looking at other systems at the moment because some customers like to
buy into a generic "fully supported" product. Even though our systems are
based on fully accessible and commented scripting, which could be picked up
and customised by any half decent developer, they still feel that if they
dont want to use us anymore that they will have an obsolete product.

The irony is that its much easier to customise our systems than it is the
off the shelf stuff

The other reason i'm looking at other systems is that I like to blatantly
and unashamedly steal other peoples ideas ;-)

I'm going to make it make toast next.